The Purpose and Benefits of Cupping Therapy
Cupping therapy is a form of altnerative medicine that stems back to ancient times. The therapy is performed by placing special cups on the skin for a few minutes. The suction from the cups can help with circulation, inflammation, and pain. Most of all, cupping therapy can aid in overall well-being. Cupping is also classified as a type of deep-tissue massage.
It’s believed that cupping therapy was used by the Egyptians around 1550 B.C. There is evidence that shows the Chinese and Middle Eastern cultures have also used cupping therapy for centuries. In fact, the therapy is frequently called “Chinese Cupping Therapy.” The philosophy behind the therapy is “Where’s there’s stagnation, there will be pain.” By removing the stagnation, pain is removed. This is why athletes tend to opt for the therapy; it brings nutrients to the muscles, which helps heal micro-tears that occur during rigorous training. Most importantly, toxins are released when tissues heal.
Cupping for the First Time
If you have never done cupping therapy before it may seem a little intimidating. Instead of pushing down on your skin as I would during a massage, the cups pull up. It’s hard to describe, but it really is a cool feeling.
I use two types of cupping during massage: gliding and stationary.
Gliding cupping feels amazing! And, some research shows that 5 minutes of cupping is equal to 30 minutes of deep pressure massage. I glide the cup around your shoulder blade to help open up the muscles that help support your scapula.
Then, I place the cups on and let them sit awhile – about 10 minutes or so.
And those round marks you sometimes see after cupping? They don’t hurt and they do go away in a few days.
The Benefits of Cupping
The following are some of the cupping benefits:
- Improves your skin’s appearance – This is the result of improved blood circulation. The suction promotes elastin and collagen rejuvenation.
- Helps heal injuries – Again, the main reason why athletes opt for cupping, everyday people who have been injured in some way will opt for this treatment.
- Aids in digestion – When performed on the abdominal area, stiffness and stress on the muscles are released. When the muscles and tissues are relaxed, the digestive system works better.
- Relieves respiratory issues – Helps you when dealing with cough, pulmonary tuberculosis, colds, the flu, and congestion.
A connection has also been found between cupping and relief from the following:
- Urinary incontinence
- Hypertension and hypotension
- Heartburn and stomach aches
- Nerve pain
- Headaches and migraines
- Gout and osteoarthritis
- Back, leg, neck, and hand pain
This isn’t a comprehensive list. Cupping therapy’s effectiveness lies in the improvement of circulation and detoxification. There have been some reports published on the effects of cupping.
Contact An Experienced Fort Worth Cupping Therapist
At Geek Girl Massage Therapy, cupping is a free add-on to my menu of services. If you would like to add cupping to your Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, or another session type, you can do so at the time you make your appointment. You can BOOK NOW online or call 817-382-1289 to learn more or schedule an appointment.